Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grayish black levels
After updating to the latest Android 6 firmware (April 2017 release), I noticed black levels have gotten lighter, almost a dark gray. It is very noticiable when playing an outer space movie like "Life" or "Gravity". It does not matter what app is used...Kodi and the built-in player have the same result. My TV settings were never changed and works fine with regular ota programing. I tested the same videos on my other device, a Roku 3, and the black levels are normal. I also borrowed a friend's android TV box, a Xiaomi Mi Box and hooked it up to my TV. Black levels were fine, just like the Roku. Strangely, I also noticed when my D5 boots up, the Dolamee logo appears in a perfectly black background for a few seconds and then switches to a dark gray background. This same grayish black level is what shows up in what should be a totally black scene in a movie. I did some research and found that RGB settings (Full vs. Limited) on the device may to blame. I do not know how this can be adjusted on the D5. Is anyone having this same issue?
Just an update...I decided to bring my D5 to my friend's place and test it on his TV, a Vizio 4k LED. Surprisingly, the black levels were normal! No grayish blacks and the D5 boot screen was fine as well. There must be some issue with my older Panasonic plasma TV when it comes to the RGB output of the D5. Oh well, I will rollback my D5 to Android 5 and hope that fixes it. Man, I never experienced so many problems with a device in so short time!  Angry
This kind of screen problem occurred with some old TV, we are trying to fix this all the time. Will you please take a short video of your problem for us to analyse?
(06-10-2017, 02:54 AM)Alina Wrote: This kind of screen problem occurred with some old TV, we are trying to fix this all the time. Will you please take a short video of your problem for us to analyse?

Hi Alina,

To resolve colorspace (RGB) issues with older TVs, please implement an option to choose the HDMi colorspace manually. The Ugoos UT6 is a TV box with similar specs as the D5 and they implemented  a "HDMI Color Mode" feature into their firmware. Scroll down to the "HDMI Color Mode" section at the below link for more details:

http://ugoos.net/blog/UT6-update-v120-tv...tag=RK3229

I think this functionality is quite doable since the Ugoos UT6 share the same processor and OS as the D5.
(06-14-2017, 07:26 PM)nomsgadded Wrote:
(06-10-2017, 02:54 AM)Alina Wrote: This kind of screen problem occurred with some old TV, we are trying to fix this all the time. Will you please take a short video of your problem for us to analyse?

Hi Alina,

To resolve colorspace (RGB) issues with older TVs, please implement an option to choose the HDMi colorspace manually. The Ugoos UT6 is a TV box with similar specs as the D5 and they implemented  a "HDMI Color Mode" feature into their firmware. Scroll down to the "HDMI Color Mode" section at the below link for more details:

http://ugoos.net/blog/UT6-update-v120-tv...tag=RK3229

I think this functionality is quite doable since the Ugoos UT6 share the same processor and OS as the D5.

Thank you, we will take a look.
Do you try to set other HDMI resolution?
(Yesterday, 09:18 PM)gabitzepii Wrote: Do you try to set other HDMI resolution?

Yep, tried 720p...the issue is with colorspace which is separate from resolution.